The decision to start making your own skincare is so exciting and if you are anything like me you just can’t wait to get started.
It’s so easy to rush out and buy all the ingredients you need for a recipe only to find that you are left with a heap of stuff you probably won’t use before it expires.
Believe me, it’s a costly mistake you don’t want to make when starting out.
I thought it would be helpful to make a list of all the ingredients and equipment you will need to get started. These ingredients will produce a range of beautiful and effective skincare that will help soothe and nourish all skin types.
Once you have mastered the art of making creams and lotions you can start to get creative and have some fun. Mix things up a bit – add in some exotic oils and butters, make use of different active ingredients and botanicals. You really are only limited by your own imagination!
Basics ingredients to get started:
- Distilled water
- Carrier oils – Macadamia, Rosehip, Jojoba
- Emulsifier – eWax NF or Polawax are best for beginners
- Cetyl alcohol
- Preservative – Liquid Germall Plus* or something similar
- Essential oils of choice – geranium, frankincense, lavender & Orange
- Vitamin E
- Hydrosol – rose
- Aloe Vera (either powder 200:1 or extract in glycerine)
- Shea butter
- Cocoa butter
*(Liquid Germall Plus is an easy to use broad spectrum preservative that is paraben free)
- Double boiler x2 – saucepan with pyrex (heatproof) glass jug or a double boiler insert
- Stick blender
- Glass bowls/beakers
- Digital scales (preferably precision scales that measure to 0.1 grams)
- Small funnel
- Disposable pipettes
Now you have all of your ingredients – let’s make these beautiful products!
Always follow ‘Good Manufacturing Practices’ (GMP) when making your skincare (see link below).